Our church was built between 1200 and 1350 AD. Its lay-out is typical for a small medieval church, with a main aisle, chancel, bell tower, side aisle on the north side and porch on the south.
Like many such churches, St Andrew’s had a ‘makeover’ in Victorian times – ours in 1875. At that time the stained glass windows in the east and west windows were added (but, very fortunately, no others) so the church remains light. After roof repairs, the steps in the chancel were also added. Pews were put in so that every part of the nave had them and choir stalls were put in the chancel. These all had to be removed early in the 21st century because of dry-rot beneath them.
We have a sound amplification (and loop) system so that people can hear easily. Beside the lectern is a top-quality electronic keyboard and a drum kit, replacing a worn-out organ. The dark oak screen between the nave and the chancel is historically important because it was built after the Reformation, replacing a much bigger one.
Beyond this is an oak table, ‘the Holy Table’, which was also put in the church after the Reformation, in the late 16th century, replacing the previous altar. Our church family often stands round this for our services of Holy Communion (also called Eucharist, meaning Thanksgiving), as Jesus told his disciples to do in remembrance of him and his death in our place.